Description:Learn how poets use language devices of sound, sensory images, figurative expressions, and musical rhythms to share their insights through word-art. This course is designed to improve and enhance students' own poetic skills by teaching them to use these devices. Experiment with traditional formats and with many free-verse styles.
Course Content:1. Beginnings: Origins of Poetry
2. Listening to Language: Literary Devices of Sound
3. Making Sense: Understanding Sensory Words
4. Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer’s Day...? Using Figurative Language
5. Musical Measurements: Rhythm and Meter
6. Casting Off Conventions: Ideas for Free Verse
7. Poetry Portfolio: Lesson Submission
Paper Courses:Assignments for this course can be submitted online or by mail, email, or fax. If you do not have reliable internet access the optional course packet includes bubble sheets to be mailed.
|Printed Course Packet||Included in tuition|