Prerequisite:Ninth-Grade English, Part 1 (ENGL 041) or equivalent.
Description:This course incorporates reading, writing, speaking strategies, vocabulary, Internet research skills, essay and speech writing, and texts from various genres. Students will also have the opportunity to use instructional multimedia and video interviews on an interactive DVD. This course is designed to open students' eyes to new perspectives so they may develop their own ideas and a have a greater understanding of the world they live in. This is the second course in a two-part Ninth-Grade English series (ENGL 041 and ENGL 043).
Course Content:1. Sharing Our Stories
2. The Art of Reading
3. "The glint of light on broken glass"
4. Cumulative Speedback Review
5. Take Up Your Pen and Write!
6. Making What We Read Ours
7. "Those who can learn, unlearn, and relearn"
8. English Usage Is . . . Sheer Luck!
9. Cumulative SpeedBack Review
10. Drenched In Words
11. More Than What Is Set Down on Paper
12. Letting the Fire Show Through the Smoke
13. "Having heard all of this, you may choose to look the other way, but you can never say again that you did not know."
14. Cumulative Speedback Review
15. To Change Is to Live
Paper Courses:Assignments for this course can be submitted online or by mail, email, or fax. If you do not have reliable internet access the optional course packet includes bubble sheets to be mailed.
Notes:Several instructor-graded assignments will be taken directly from video interviews on a course DVD. Students need to have access to a DVD player to complete this course. The novel Enchantress from the Stars may be available at a local library or bookstore.
|Engl 043 - Double Layer DVD||Included in tuition|
|Printed Course Packet||Included in tuition|