Introduction to Music
Prerequisite:Nonmusic major status.
Description:Designed to aid nonmusic majors in developing skills needed for listening to music creatively. Emphasis on masterworks of Western music from major style periods.
Course Content:1. The Fundamentals of Music
2. Music of the Middle Ages
3. The Renaissance: Sacred and Secular Music
4. The Early Baroque
5. Late Baroque Instrumental Music
6. Late Baroque Vocal Music
7. Music of the Classical Period (ca. 1750-1815)
8. Viennese Classical Style 2 (Concerto, Opera, & Beethoven)
9. The Romantic Era: Art, Song, Character Piece, and Symphonic Poem
10. Romantic Opera and Late Romantic Instrumental Music
11. Music of the Early Twentieth Century (1900-1945)
12. Essay Assignment
Online Courses:Course materials are accessed online, and all assignments must be submitted online. Optional course readings may be available but do not include the self-check assignments or graded assignments.
Notes:The BYU Store only sells the required text and audio CDs packaged together. Students may purchase them separately from another source. Satisfies Brigham Young University core Arts requirement.
|Printed Course Readings||$ 12.00|