Prerequisite:MATH 112 (Calculus 1) or equivalent.
Description:Techniques and applications of integration; sequences, series, convergence tests, power series; parametric equations; polar coordinates.
Course Content:1. Area Between Curves
3. Volumes by Cylindrical Shells
5. Average Value of a Function
6. Integration by Parts
7. Trigonometric Integrals
8. Trigonometric Substitution
9. Integration of Rational Functions by Partial Fractions
10. Strategy for Integration
11. Approximate Integration
12. Improper Integrals
13. Arc Length
14. Area of a Surface of Revolution
15. Applications to Physics and Engineering
16. Curves Defined by Parametric Equations
17. Calculus with Parametric Curves
18. Polar Coordinates
19. Areas and Lengths in Polar Coordinates
20. Conic Sections
21. Conic Sections of Polar Coordinates
24. The Integral Test and Estimate of Sums
25. The Comparison tests
26. Alternating Series
27. Absolute Convergence and the Ratio and Root Tests
28. Strategy for Testing Series
29. Power Series
30. Representations of Functions as Power Series
31. Taylor and Maclaurin series
32. Application of Taylor Polynomials
Online Courses:Course materials are accessed online, and all assignments must be submitted online. Optional course readings may be available but do not include the self-check assignments or graded assignments.
Notes:Students must purchase WebAssign access to do the homework for this course. This can be purchased with the textbook or purchased separately online. (For best results, students should use Firefox as their browser.) There are graded homework assignments for nearly every lesson. Because the student's homework score must be transferred from WebAssign to their BYU Independent Study course gradebook, the student will see only 2 assignments in the IS course gradebook. Mac users: It is strongly recommended that Safari be used as the browser; Adobe Reader must be used to view this course.
The exams are only available to be taken in a paper format. Please plan for shipping time.
No Materials required for this course!